Sunday, May 9, 2010

To share or Not...

If I were to really let go, I would share food with others, and then the sh!t would hit the fan because i would immediately begin to gag and possibly even projectile vomit as someone shuffled around the bag for that special chip, double dipped in the mexican cheese dip because the chip was too big, bit my hamburger leaving a cheese-like strand of saliva hanging from the bun, or misplaced a miniscule piece of bread into my delightful sweet tea. The people that know me know that I have a slight problem with germs. I see it as a very healthy assessment of sanitary food etiquette. It is not a huge deal... I will get what I need first, order my own, or do something else. I very rarely share food and I am usually the distributer when i do. I'm not sure where it came from (my entire family will basically share anything), but it is a part of me.

In an effort to reevaluate different aspects of me, i decided to try to ease up on the germ sensitivity and ask friends if they wanted to taste my items. I was really freaked out when someone said yes, but tried to play it cool. There will never be any sharing of straws or eating utensils, but i did let one person drink out of the glass (I was using a straw). The next day, I shared chips and salsa. I am pretty sure that I am done reevaluating.

Just so we are clear, sharing with ANYONE is too much for me. I don't necessarily think that people are dirty, but it just does something to me. I have a very reactive and fairly weak stomach. The thought of backwash, leftover food, dirt from touching something, fecal matter from not washing hands, or some other type of unsanitary item possibly mixing into/around my food creates the biggest volcanic eruption in my stomach..... so I stay away from sharing for the most part.

I gave it a try, but the benefits of sharing do not outweigh the volcanic eruptions.

So, since I'm not letting go... we shall resume with the regularly scheduled program....Regina's fear of the unknown food monsters.

Reel Moments

Ratatouille

Remy: I don't constantly want to wash my paws. Did you ever think about how we walk on the same paws that we handle our food with? You ever think about what we put in our mouths?

7 comments:

J. Kelly said...

We are proud of you for at least trying to share, but we will continue to give you a hard time. ;-)

Esoteric Prose said...

Did you gag while you were writing this post? I bet you did. It's ok. No judging here. :)

Regina said...

Lol... I know you will Kel. That's why I love you all...and yes i did gag. I actually had to take a break from writing it.

Susan said...

Ahh... poor little germaphobe... are you also grossed out when you watch others share? Or is it just when they interact with your culinary delights? I would assume the latter since you're friends with Kel. Unless she is dramatically different around y'all than she is with us. I know we share food extensively.

adam said...

Regina I totally shared a straw with you on your tea.

did you just gag? I should only do these things in person so I can see your reaction first hand.

Unknown said...

Thank goodness I didn't ask you to share any of your lunch!

Granted... mine was pretty delish... just saying :)

Regina said...

Susan - I'm grossed out when other people do it as well... and yes, Kel shares.

Adam - You are ridiculous for even thinking that.

Julie - I would have let you down easy. It was your first encounter with me and food.

Post a Comment