Friday, May 7, 2010

To Pay or Not...

If I were really going to let go, I would call all the student loan companies and tell them to kiss off, and then the sh!t would hit the fan because I owe them tons of money and they want it back. When I started college, I knew I would get student loans because we didn't have the kind of money (or any kind for that matter- we weren't in need for necessities and we got some of the things we wanted- mom, you rock) that would pay for 1 year of college, let alone 4 or 5 for 1 degree.  So, I set out on the how much money will they give me now and can i get that every year quest.  Fortunately for me at that time, everyone wanted to give me money (which I so don't understand - those companies are stupid even if they eventually get what they want in return).  I took it all...pell grants, subsidized, unsubsidized, private, alternative for school things...and walmart, target, discover, chase, capital one, and american express for school related things (i.e computer, groceries, clothing, vacations, etc.) My college years were great minus the times when I was broke...how is that possible you ask... it just is, so leave that alone :)....Anyway, I graduated and decided to do another degree... Same quest and again, those stupid companies gave me the money (Greatness) and I finished my second degree with the same type of experience as undergrad in relation to money.   Well, now they want it back...What the Crap?  What do they want me to do... work just to pay them?  That doesn't seem fair to me.. Anyway, back to the original topic of calling them and telling them to kiss off.  If I do that, they will not only remind me that I BORROWED the majority of the money meaning I would need to pay it back (duh), but also that not paying it could result in any number of actions along with a possibly charge of a threat or something. I would say.... Well, I know that you expected me to pay it back, but we think (Amber and I, although she may have been joking) that we shouldn't have to pay you back until our degrees pay us off in lots and lots of money. I mean it sounds fair to me.

So since I'm  not really letting go, I will go figure out how I'm going to pay them.. What the Crap?

~Reel Moments~
In the spirit or going to college and getting everything except something tangible... i leave you with a quote from...

Accepted

Jack Gaines: Okay cut the crap Bartleby. Society has rules and the first rule is: You go to college. You wanna have a happy and successful life, you go to college. If you wanna be somebody, you go to college. If you wanna fit in, you go to college.

2 comments:

Susan said...

My roommate and I were discussing student loans tonight too (mainly how many we have). Regina, get out of my head please! We're consolidating with the Feds and making the lowest payments possible so that in a decade the rest will be forgiven. Truly the only quasi-perk we can come up with for working in higher ed.

LuminouzFlame said...

My student loans have been on my mind this week too. Man, if I could turn back the hands of time. Like seriously, I agree with what you and Amber were thinking. Or maybe the University should be responsible because apparently I was hood-winked into thinking that my degree would be good enough to get me a decent paying job. 5 years later and I'm just now earning the paycheck where some others were earning when they first got out of college.

Post a Comment