Wednesday, May 19, 2010

To Cut Off or Not...

If I really let go, I would cut my cell phone service off in order to really enjoy this newfound freedom, and them sh!t would hit the fan because people couldn't get in touch with and and vice versa. Well, that is most likely not true.

I had a conversation today about being connected to cell phones. How we look at it even when it isn'tt screaming at us with whatever musical tone we have assigned to a specific caller or action. How we text insignificant statements while driving. How we have out entire lives (email, calendar, photos of loved ones, have mail, entertainment for when we're bored, etc.) packed into this tiny metal device. How we sleep with it so close to us as if it is the one thing that will save our lives if we had to get to one thing to protect us.

We give so much power to something that is being controlled by massive amounts of words and symbols. Is that really how we choose to live? I have been without my cell on a few occasions due to lack of funding or forgetfulness (not paying the bill), and I'll be darn, I've survived. It gave me the chance to be creative when I really needed to get in touch with someone. Yeah, sometimes it didn't work, but those are the times that I probably just didn't try hard enough. Did I really need anything? Maybe to not be bored ( or lonely) for that period of time, but probably nothing truly important. I know that when my cell is on that I am always...hmm... Connected. I can call someone for anything and i'm ok even if they don't pick up. I guess because I know that they will eventually return my call either via text, internet, or phone. On the flip side, when my cell is off, I feel detached from the world. I Feel as if the 2nd i'm on longer connected, everyone is doing something exciting and i'm missing it all. Okay, maybe that is a bit dramatic, but there is some truth to it. I wonder what everyone is doing? I become the most important person in the world from my perspective because I know for a fact that everyone is wonderign what I'm doing (ok, dramatic again)... In reality, people know me and they know that my phone is liable to get cut off for whatever reason and if they wanted to find me they could in 1 of about 3 places... maybe more on special days. Life will continue the same way it had prior to having your cell phone cut off unless you made some drastic changes right before it got cut off.

(Excuse the how come - That's what I felt like writing) How come we don't send written letters anymore? Don'tthey mean just a little more than an email? How come we have full conversations via text? Is it not polite to call? How come we send happy Birthday messages through facebook from our cells? Why are we allowing the middle man to control who gets it, when they get it, and how they get it?

It's really interesting for sure. Seeing as though I have written this post from my crappy cell, I'm obviously not letting go, but it is something to think about.

~Reel Moments~

Letters to Juliet

Amanda: There is a place where the heartbroken leave notes asking Juliet for her help. It was there I discovered a letter that changed my life forever.

0 comments:

Post a Comment