Saturday, May 28, 2011

Why do people ask you questions like that?

Someone recently asked me why I was single in a group of people that are all in relationships. I thought people had figured out a while back that asking someone that is totally taboo or at least just uncomfortable. Of course, I can say things like I'm too busy or I'm not looking for anyone or I haven't found the right one or some other statement that would be completely true, but they all still seem like excuses to the person asking, so why even ask.

I understand that being in a relationship is important and great... I've been in some great ones... But I would never ask someone why they got married in front of a group of people... Or alone for that matter. That would be like me saying man, did you screw up. It's inappropriate and uncalled for.

When I give relationship advice to someone specific tread, I tread like I'm on thin ice. It's typically after they bring up the subject and even then I try to stay in whatever area of the relationship they've brought up. Going into the overall relationship has backfired on me once and I vowed to never do it again. Reality about a broken relationship hurts all the same if they're not ready to hear it no matter how true your words are.

Do what you want and be with someone if you want to, but falling into the pressure of the media, friends and/or family almost never ends positive. I felt the need to blog about this because I feel like there are a ton of people that do something because they think they have to to get something...love, acceptance, promotion, etc. This may be a bit of a jump from relationship talk, but I believe that kind of behavior is leading us down a path that will be difficult to return from.

0 comments:

Post a Comment