Wednesday, May 25, 2011

How Often is Too Often?

When in a relationship, how often can you cancel on your partner for other people?

Scenario...

You make dinner plans with your mate for Friday at 7:30pm on Wednesday. Your mate calls your Friday at 6pm to tell you that they want to hang out with friends (of the same sex), so they need to take a raincheck and tell you that it's not too late to make plans with your friends.

You go hang out with your friends.

Saturday, your mate tells you that you they will make it up to you on Sunday. You say ok, great. Sunday comes and you get a text at 6:30 from your mate that says hanging out with those same people again. We'll get together Monday and it will totally be worth it.

Would your reaction depend on how long you've been together?
Do you factor in previous cancellations?
Do you factor in other issues?
Do you call them out on it?
What do you do?

So, most people know I have little to no tolerance for stupidty in relationships. Contrary to populat belief, it's simple. I know things come up, but this situation was not that way. The partner decided to do the activity with their friends instead doing it with their significant other...twice. They've also been together a long time. I'm not sure how often it happens, but the person I was talking to was UPset.

Along the same lines, If you live separately, how often do you get together and do things? People are so weird about how much time they spend with someone. I can't call too much because it will seem like I'm... (Insert craziness here) or I'm calling all the time because I...(insert craziness here). It should be I call you because I have something to say or I did this because I care or it reminds me of you. The response shouldn't be Why are you calling me so much or why don't you ever do anything with me?

Human relationships will probably forever intrigue me.

~Reel Moments~

It's Complicated (2009)

I know this movie includes an affair, but the concept of having plans and them being changed by someone else at the last minute or not at all is there.

Jane (Meryl Streep):

The last thing
in the whole world

I should be right now
is your mistress.

Sitting around
at nine at night,
wearing heels and perfume

and blowing all
the candles out

and wrapping
everything in Saran Wrap

because your wife
canceled her plans.

It was just,
it was...humiliating.

0 comments:

Post a Comment